Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sharing a little of my first experiences with looming...

Well I seem to have neglected my blog...I guess life just keeps us busy. Plus I just don't know where to begin. I would like to show you all the different projects that I have done so far, but I haven't always been good about taking pictures of them. But I will share what I do have. Plus I also want to share the many different looms I have picked up along the way since I first started this craft. I have several which I still haven't had the time to loom on yet, but hope to soon.


Today I will show you some of my looms and tools that I use. The first set that I bought was the Knifty Knitter's (the round set). Shortly after that I acquired the spool loom (the small pink one) and also the flower loom (which does have removable pegs). Of the Knifty Knitter's the first set has the small blue loom (this has 24 pegs), the next one in the set is the red loom (this has 31 pegs), the next one is the green loom (which has 36 pegs) and then finally the last one in the set is the yellow loom (which has 41 pegs). These are all in what they call the regular gauge, which mostly uses 2 strands of worsted weight yarn when making items.

I also found out there was a DVD available online from americanknitter.com, it is called "Round Loom Knitting", which I ordered. It helped alot when I started, because I could actually "see" how the stitches were done, how she worked her pick, etc... I guess you could say I'm more of a visual learner when it comes to this craft. On the DVD they have four lessons and a bonus lesson on how to knit with needles. Lesson 1 is "Hats" - changing colors, creating a brim & pom-poms. Lesson 2 is "Scarves" - sizing, closing ends on a tube scarf and adding fringe. Lesson 3 is "Slippers" - looming flat pieces, and closing a heel. Then the last Lesson 4 is "Socks" - which shows how to make vertical color patterns and creating a heel.

I still haven't done lessons 3 & 4, but it is on my to-do-list! You will be amazed of how many patterns & projects are out there for you to make! Plus the many different ways of doing them too. And not only that there are some very talented ladies out there...who come up with all of these ideas. It seems to me they must have several hands attached...because they are always making something new!

The first few items I made on the loom were hats! Some with a brim and some without, some were knitted 1 over 1 while others were 2 over 1. Then with hats I used various yarns: variegated, solid, and eyelash yarn. After making several hats I had to make scarves to go with some of them...using various patterns and colors. I also attempted leg warmers, but could never quite get the size and yarn to work out for the person I was making them for.

Before long I found my first yahoo group about loom knitting...it was loom class, and many others followed shortly after that. The first project I made in "Loom Class" was a baby bonnet, and after I made the first one I found out that friends of mine were having grandchildren so I ended up making 6 bonnets....different colors...different yarn. I even made one with the cotton yarn (that you usually think to use for dishcloths), because the expected baby was going to be a late spring baby.

I just loved doing the class! You signed up for the class, downloaded your pattern for the item, got your supplies ready and started your project. If you had a question about how to do a stitch, or anything else related to the project you could just ask. Typing your post and then sending it to the group you would receive all kinds of help...either from the author of the pattern, or teacher, or other loomers. It was a fun learning experience, and I ended up with a beautiful handcraft gift as well as the experience to make more.

The first book that I would recommend is Loom Knitting Primer by Isela Phelps, besides having 30 different fun projects to do, it has very good illustrations & directions. Lots of pictures and drawings and also charts. Plus towards the back it tells you a little about board knitting as well and as some felting projects too. You can also purchase it at her families website: Decor Accents Inc., her husband makes many wooden looms with nylon pegs. Plus she also has lots of instruction...written and illustrated on her website and even videos of some of the basic stitches as well. (Once you get acquainted with the looming community you will find she is one of many talented ladies I was talking about.)

Well, that's all for today...hope this helps you a little if you are just getting started. Check out the links on the side for the different Yahoo groups and some of the websites of the vendors that I have either used myself, or they have come highly recommended. Be care...it can be an addiction...you want more looms, more yarn, more, more, more... ha! ha!

Another good place to go is so far their membership is free, you just need to sign-up and then wait for your invitation. I was lucky mine only took about two weeks or less. It is a place for anyone that does crocheting, knitting, or looming (any yarn craft it seems). They have a tour that you can take that explains it and shows you what all it can do. My children told me it was a little like "facebook" if you know what that is...except more for adults with a yarn/craft addiction. One thing I like about it compared to my yahoo groups, is that you actually get to see pictures of your 'friends', that is if they loaded one on. You can look at the different projects they are working on and many other things too! I can even have a link to my blog and it shows any updates that I make. There are groups to join there too...I'm in a few. One of the groups does a knit-along or rather loom- along once a month, where we all work on the same project together....or at least we all try. Sometimes I have so many projects I'd like to do, but just don't have the time!

Well...that's it for today! Happy Looming and God Bless...hope you have caught the looming bug!
JA

PS: Sorry for the sideways pictures...I guess I will have to tweak them ahead of time and save them after I've rotated them. I couldn't figure out how to do it any other way in blogger.

1 comment:

jpirkle said...

I've neglected my blog also Jackie. This is a great way to show your looming talents yourself. I love your baby hat. Turn your pictures when they come off the camera. Mine has an option at the bottom. It is just a right or left arrow and it turns the picture before loading to the internet. I hope this is how yours works too.